Qimono Closed System Transfer Device (CSTD)
Closed systems to minimise the risk
Qimono is a totally closed system drug transfer device specifically designed to
be safe and easy to use by pharmacists and nurses.
The benefits ensure there are secure connections in place for the preparation, transfer and infusion of medication to protect clinicians throughout the delivery of chemotherapy to patients.
The complete closed system for safe delivery of cytotoxic drugs.
Stay safe with Qimono
It is widely documented that exposure to Systemic Anti-Cancer Therapy (SACT), can pose a significant health risk to patients during treatment as well as healthcare workers involved in the preparation and administration of the drugs1.
Many SACT agents are known to be carcinogenic, teratogenic, and mutagenic. Exposure may be through skin contact, skin absorption, inhalation of aerosols and drug particles as well as ingestion and needlestick injuries. This can occur at various points of the treatment process: during the preparation of the medication, whilst the drugs are administered and after therapy2. Adverse health effects reported by chemotherapy nurses include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and hair loss3.
The seven key benefits of Qimono
The seven key features ensure there are secure connections in place for the preparation, transfer and infusion of medication to protect clinicians throughout the delivery of chemotherapy to patients.
1. Luer bayonet provides connections without screwing
- Eliminates the problems linked to the clamping force applied on medical devices
- Reduces the risk of repetitive strain injury for users
- Removes the likelihood of over, or under-tightening.
2. Connectable to standard Luer devices
- Connects easily to standard devices such as syringes and extension lines.
3. The two tube design of the internal mechanism provides a direct fluid pathway
- Easy withdrawals and injections
- Allows effective flushing
- Limits ward pump alarms.
4. Chemical resistant materials
- Avoids medical devices cracking.
5. Valves automatically close on disconnection ensuring a barrier against toxic drugs and bacteria
- Protects users from chemical contamination
- Shields drugs from bacterial contamination.
6. Flat membranes mean the easy disinfection of both male and female hubs
- Makes it simple to disconnect and connect devices when needed.
7. A complete range of devices for the preparation, transfer and infusion of medication focuses on safety from start to finish
- Makes all handling of cytotoxic drugs safe
- Guarantees that all devices are compatible.
Watch our series of instructional videos demonstrating how to use Qimono CSTD in your Cancer Centre.
If you have any questions on Qimono, have a look at our FAQ page.
1. Simons A, Toland S (2015) Closed systems for drug delivery; a necessity, not an option British Journal of Nursing, (IV Therapy Supplement), Vol 24, No 14
2. Safe Handling of Cytotoxic Drugs in the Workplace, HSE 2015
3. Simons A, Toland S (2017) Perceived adverse effects from handling systemic anti-cancer therapy agents British Journal of Nursing, (IV Therapy Supplement), Vol 26, No 16